In this video we will show you how to make shortbread biscuits with Bronte Pistachio (slow food).
Ingredients for 2kg of Biscuits:
1kg flour 00
500g butter, softened
500g caster sugar
4 yolk eggs
1 vanilla beans
150g Bronte pistachio crumble
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes
- Prepare the flour on your work surface (you could also put it in a large bowl); add sequentially: sugar, butter, pistachio crumbs, egg yolks, whole eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the ingredients until the dough takes on a compact and uniform appearance.
- Cut a piece of dough at a time and tapered it.
- Prepare a baking tray with baking parchment .
- Cut the dough into small squares and place them on the baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C and cook for about 15 minutes.
This pistachio variety grows only in the hilly land around Bronte, and only here does it acquire a bright emerald-green color and an intense fragrance, resinous and rich. The trees are not fertilized or irrigated and are only pruned a couple of times during unproductive years. Pistachio trees alternative productive years with years of rest, and during the latter the farmers trim off the few buds that sprout on the branches so that the tree can store its energy for the next season. Harvesting takes place between the end of August and early September, and during this period everyone helps out in the “loci”, the local name for the pistachio groves, including children and the elderly.
Bronte Municipality, Catania Province
Presidium supported by
Sicilian Region’s Agriculture and Forestry Department
The pistachio is harvested in September every second year (production is very low for one year following harvest) and the shelled nuts can be found year-round.
zona artigianale capannone 22
tel. 095 7724121 – 328 4840586
viale Regina Margherita, 132
tel. 095 7722372
San Pietro Clarenza (Ct)
vico Cardillo, 4
tel. 095 529933
via Giotto, 13
tel. 328 2513628